Tuneage


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Glee!

For some unholy reason, the topic of absurd controversy around my office this week has been Fox's 2009 pilot baby: Glee. Apparently, I've been walking around with a big sign on my back which reads 'hey boys, come tell me how much you hated glee.' Okay, so yes, there are tonality issues; yes, it walks a tricky line between homage and parody; yes some of the characters border between lovable and repellent. Is the lead super annoying? The football star is gay, right? How Tracy Flickian is that chick?

Well here's what I have to say to you: frankly, I don't give a shit.

I liked it. Yeah! I said it, I said it in Johannesburg! I liked it! I thought it was honest and dorky and weird and gay and twisted (Ryan Murphy is a liiiittle bit genius) and cheesy and sweet...a show so wrong, it's right. I was entertained for sixty whole minutes. Personally, Glee was more entertaining than if NCIS boned Without A Trace then cheated on Private Practice with CSI: Miami who then had a baby with Criminal Minds and snorted heroin with the regular CSI. Apparently at upfronts Fox was so geeked up about it looked like the Glee baby threw up Glee vom all over New York City. Glee hot air balloons, Glee parade, cheerleaders wearing Glee uniforms, Glee Glee Glee. So, obviously I'm in good company...and you know what that means, clearly I will be a network executive one day. But anyways...look, maybe it'll be a huge hit, maybe it'll bomb (at the very least a great guilty pleasure)...but I think any show that attempts to do something original and refreshing deserves major props (stole this from the only male coworker who agreed with me over ichat...(where was that coward when I needed backup? i think he's afraid his fellow coworkers aren't going to shove him into the dumpster with his marc jacobs jacket on). I can't tell you how bloody sick I am of reading medical drama and procedural spec/sample scripts and frankly, this type of programming is the architect of channel surfing and surrenders of 'I guess I'll meet you at the bar, there's nothing good on tonight'. So what I'm saying is, procedurals cause alcoholism...basically.

So anyway, screw you naysayers.
I for one can't wait until Fall to see the series in it's entirety. If this (see below) scene doesn't make up for its faults, then you are lame and can go watch CBS or that show with the suitcases and that old bald cheese dick.

4 comments:

  1. When I first started reading this post I felt bad for not liking Glee for the soul reason that I didn't like choir nerds in high school (no offense to your large choir nerd following, it's just a fact). Now that I've watched the clip... I dislike it more than when I began BUT you made a very compelling argument and now when I say to people 'I really don't like that show Glee' and they say 'you haven't even seen it yet' I can say 'yes I have.' Thanks for that C

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh i love the smell of healthy debate in the afternoon. discourse turns me on.

    p.s. private practice and 90210 are lame as shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is the Bachelorette (obviously the Bachelor as well) but I wasn't going to bring that up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. touche.

    And I said what about "charm school and rock of love?"
    She said, "I think I remember those shows'
    And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."
    And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got."

    ReplyDelete